What Is The Recovery After A Male Tummy Tuck?
Recovery after a male tummy tuck can vary for each individual but here is a basic guideline:
- 1 – 3 days – you will be moving slowly and may need some help at home. You should not be confined to bed, but your physical activity and mobility may be limited. You will be taking prescription pain medication and emptying and monitoring your drains.
- 1 week – your drains are out and you should be able to walk around and perform most daily functions without help. You should be off prescription pain medication.
- 2 weeks– you can usually return to work at this point as long as your job does not require too much movement or physical exertion.
- 6 weeks– you can resume light exercise such as swimming or walking. You will still have limitations and full activity may take up to 8 weeks.
- 3 months – by your 3-month follow up you should be at full activity and scars are fully healed but may be red or pink in color.
- 6 months – you should see your final results! Your scar will be softer, lighter and the sensation back to normal.
- 1 year – Your scar will be lighter and in some cases be barely visible. You should have no discomfort with any activity.
Once your male tummy tuck surgery is completed, it is very important to follow your doctor’s post-operative instructions in order to heal properly and have a good outcome.
Tips for a smooth recovery:
- Get plenty of rest, drink fluids and follow a balanced diet.
- Start walking as soon as possible – this helps to reduce swelling, lower the chance of developing blood clots
- Constipation is a side effect of decreased activity, use of pain medicines, and dehydration. Drink plenty of fluids and consider adding raw fruit and increased fiber to your diet. Your doctor may prescribe a stool softener along with the narcotics.
- Do not take aspirin or any products containing aspirin unless approved by your surgeon.
- If you are taking vitamins with iron, resume these as tolerated.
- Do not smoke or be around a smoker. This can be the most significant cause of serious healing issues.
- Avoid lifting anything over 5 pounds for 6 weeks. This can be modified by your doctor.