Gynecomastia in male bodybuilders
Bodybuilder gynecomastia is most often caused by an excessive amount of estrogen or prolactin as a result of inappropriate anabolic steroid use, most commonly testosterone or its derivatives. When high levels of testosterone hormones are injected, the enzyme aromatase converts a portion of that testosterone into estrogen. Aromatase converts testosterone into estrogen, causing gynecomastia and breast enlargement. Prohormones may also contribute to breast growth in bodybuilders.
Certain steroids are known to increase prolactin. Prolactin is a hormone that can also cause gynecomastia in men independently of estrogen.
Treatments such as testosterone replacement therapy can help but should be done under the supervision of a physician to prevent complications such as gynecomastia. It is important to prevent the onset of gynecomastia by routine laboratory monitoring and the use of medications such as an aromatase inhibitor. Gyno steroids can lead to breast enlargement and overdevelopment.
Bodybuilder with Grade IV Gynecomastia – Before & After
ChestSculpt™ – Liposculpting of thechest with complete gland excision. 3 months post-op with spontaneous skin retraction.*Actual Patient. Results will vary from patient to patient. Gyno steroids can cause breast enlargement in some individuals. Breast growth can be influenced by various factors such as hormone levels, health conditions, weight gain, and muscle growth.
How can bodybuilders get rid of gynecomastia?
- Once bodybuilder gynecomastia appears, it is very important to try to get it treated by a medical professional before it becomes permanent.
- Medications such as an aromatase inhibitor or estrogen receptor blockers can be successful at reversing gynecomastia. These medications should be started as early as possible to be effective at preventing the progression of gynecomastia. Decreasing the dose or eliminating testosterone replacement therapy is also an option since less testosterone will be available to be turned into estrogen.
- If the gynecomastia persists for approximately one year or more, fibrosis and scar tissue will develop and the gynecomastia will become irreversible and will require surgical excision of the extra glandular tissue in the male chest area by an experienced surgeon.
Are there natural ways to get rid of bodybuilder gynecomastia without surgery?
- There are ways to balance your estrogen and testosterone levels naturally through diet and lifestyle choices. For example, cruciferous vegetables keep estrogen levels low by decreasing its conversion from testosterone. Staying away from foods that increase estrogen levels, such as sesame seeds, dried fruits, yams, tofu, and turmeric, can also help.
- Raising your testosterone levels naturally can help prevent gynecomastia. Here are some easy tips:
- Get plenty of sleep.
- Exercise & building lean muscle, particularly in your legs
- Minimize stress if possible
- Certain vitamin supplements such as vitamin D, Magnesium
Severe Bodybuilder Gynecomastia From Steroid Use – Before & After
*Actual patient. Results will vary from patient to patient. This patient had severe gynecomastia due to past steroid abuse. After the patient was evaluated for hormone imbalance, he underwent ChestSculpt™ by Dr. Truong, who performed SmartLipo in conjunction with direct gland excision. The patient is only one-month post-op. The procedure involved the removal of excess breast tissue and liposuction.
What if I still have gynecomastia?
- Your diet and lifestyle can help reduce the appearance of “man boobs” or pseudo-gynecomastia, but it can’t help cure true bodybuilder gynecomastia.
- If you have true gynecomastia, ChestSculpt surgery is the only treatment that will permanently get rid of enlarged breast tissue in the male chest.
Severe Bodybuilder Gyno Video
When can I go back to work and compete again?
- Many bodybuilders are concerned about when they will be able to resume competing professionally again after gyno surgery.
- Depending upon the extent of the surgery, the speed of recovery, and the intensity of the training following your surgery – your surgeon can guide how soon you can resume physical exercise.
How much does bodybuilder gyno surgery cost?
- The cost of your gynecomastia surgery will depend upon the size of the breast gland, the amount of surrounding breast fat, the medical condition of the patient, your surgeon’s experience, location, and other various factors that the surgeon will have to consider to offer the best possible surgical result.
See XSculpt’s bodybuilder gynecomastia correction before and after results!
Our top-rated board-certified surgeons are experts in Bodybuilding gynecomastia surgery in Chicago. See bodybuilder gynecomastia before and after photos. Steroid use can lead to breast enlargement due to hormone changes. Breast growth is a common concern among bodybuilders due to hormone imbalances caused by steroid use.
For an accurate diagnosis, get evaluated by trained, board-certified surgeons who specialize in bodybuilder gynecomastia Dr. Marc Adajar or Dr. Anh-Tuan Truong, to discuss the best treatment options for you, including liposuction breast tissue.
*Actual patient. Results will vary from patient to patient. This patient had severe gynecomastia due to past steroid abuse. After the patient was evaluated for hormone imbalance, he underwent ChestSculpt™ by Dr. Truong, who performed SmartLipo in conjunction with direct gland excision. The patient is only one-month post-op. The procedure targeted both breast tissue and fatty tissue, addressing the breast growth caused by gyno steroids and their side effects.